January 16, 2010

Damask Cork Trivets

I don't know about any of you, but I was absolutely crazy over the holidays making gifts, cookies, and who knows what else {a big fat mess}. Anyways, I thought I'd post a few of the projects that I worked on.

Project #1: Trivets and Coasters



I found this idea for custom-designed cork trivets over at Ashley Ann Photography and thought that they would be a perfect Christmas gift idea! I'm absolutely in love with damask stuff lately, so I chose that as my "custom design" for these trivets. I gave them to my best friend for Christmas and didn't even take pictures of them! {Probably because I was too crazy with everything} Anyways, I decided that they were too cute not to have some for myself, so I made a few more and took lots of pictures this time around to show all of you!

You'll need:
cork trivets, sold in a 3-pack for $3 at Ikea
or coasters, Bed, Bath and Beyond - I got a huge package for like $5
ruler
xacto knife
woodburning tool, if you don't already have one, Hobby Lobby sells this one for $15
and a design/template to trace onto the cork


Step 1: Cut out your template, or let your cricut do all the work for you Ü Make you sure you have a protected surface under you {preferably not the cork. lol Ü}


Step 2: Tape your template onto the cork and trace out the design with the woodburning tool
Step 3: Remove the template and make sure you've got everything traced, then fill-in the spaces. {*note: don't discard the extra images you cut out of the paper! They can be used to trace and fill in the negative space instead of the positive space}


Step 5: You're done! but wait . . . that one on the right looks like it needs a little somethin' somethin', know what i mean?


The real Step 5: Grab your ruler {make sure it won't melt against the woodburner!} and trace two straight lines about 1/8" apart on one side of the design, repeat on the other side of the design and fill in the spaces.


Voila! Now you have some really cute trivets to decorate your table with while your guests are waiting for the dinner to be served! Ü


You know what the best part is? {ok - maybe not the best, but it's still so cool} the other side of the trivets are blank, so you can make a completely different design on them for different occasions! yey!!

Linking up to:











6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I so enjoyed your making card ideas...

Maggie said...

Those are fabulous!

I've not anything with a wood burning tool, might have to pick one of those up.

cindy said...

Amazing! Those look awesome. Santa didn't bring me a cricut, but he better next year if he knows what's good for him. I'm totally holding out on the cookies next time.

So glad you could Mi4M :)

Kristen {a little ditty} said...

I love these! How cute! I am also really into the damask pattern lately, these are perfect.

Angie Holden said...

Those are so awesome!! Wishing for an Ikea....

Kim -today's creative blog said...

Those are beautiful!